Thursday 15 November 2012

You're a virgin who can't drive

As Clueless is undeniably one of the greatest movies of all time and as it was made in the single greatest year of all time and the 90's was just generally a fantastic era, I thought I'd write a post about how fantastic the costume designers of Clueless or rather, the designers of the 90s were.

Every so often, popular culture goes through an 'everything old is new again' phase and at the moment, it would appear that the 90's is the new cool thing. I'm beyond thrilled about this because the 90's is seriously such an under appreciated era and if Clueless isn't proof enough of that, then need I mention the wonders of Space Jam, Destiny's Child and the Spice Girls? Funnily all of my examples showed great evidence of the 90's being rad.

But 90's fashion is back (well in my eyes at least) and I'm just going to mention things that are beyond cool. Loose spaghetti strap singlets - coupled with a strapless bra, these singlets are just brilliant. I've stolen about 3 from my mum, when she bought them they were for pyjamas but the silk fabric is just wonderful and I can't even describe how much I love this style. Cropped spaghetti strap singlets are equally as cool and ever so 90's. 

Cher and Dionne also totally rocked the top button up style before it was even in, and own the effortlessly chic school look with cute stationary, fabulous hair accessories and just a general air of coolness about them, really it's no wonder they were the coolest at their school. Dionne is seriously one of the most gorgeous people I've seen in my whole life and her experimentation with clothes is just beautiful. She kind of reminds me of my friend only with a bit more attitude. 

But Clueless weren't alone with their fantastic costume department, such TV shows as Lizzie McGuire, Friends and even The Fresh Prince of Bel Air totally nails the 90's hiphop look. This begs the question, why wasn't I born 10 years earlier so that I could experience the 90's as a teenager. I'm going to pass the blame onto my parents because I seriously believe that I would've been the Cher Horowitz of my school but now that's just a failed dream. 

Another 90's trend I'm diggin' (also note the 90s lingo I'm using) is 90's grunge! Now, despite the fact that many of the grungey youth of the 90's resembles hobos, the flanno was totally a statement. Similarly, overalls which not only are beyond comfortable but they are cute and make you look like an artist. Printed high waisted shorts were also so fabulous back then and as I recently bought a pair for a solid $8.00, I can safely say that I would've fitted in in the 90s.  

Essentially the 90's were full of fashion hits and misses but as I've got a 90's haircut I feel a rejuvenated passion for the era, a passion that my four year old self didn't grow to have, regretfully so. 


But whatever, I'm outie.

Liv xo 




1 comment:

  1. i love you and i love your blog. Your writing is beyond entertaining, nice makeup post: VERY INSPIRING

    ReplyDelete

About

My photo
Nineteen year old student from Sydney, working a lot and spending all funds on clothes.

Pages - Menu